Pleasant Valley Missionary Baptist Church has a long, great, rich and strong history. The church was founded in July, 1878 by 14 Charter Members. The church was first sited on the property donated by George Medearis. The original church building burned and the new building was sited on land donated by Alfred Overton where the church currently resides. Rev. T.H. Wright was the Pastor that commission the construction of the current church building. Walter Woods was the contractor. Several Pioneer Member families ensured the early success of the church.
During the Silent Era, December 1972 - November 1974, for almost two years, the church membership dwindled to one single member, which was Deacon Louie Roberts. Rev. J.H. Penn who was the Pastor of Good Will Baptist Church worked with Deacon Roberts during this transition period until Rev. Delroy Bunton became the permanent pastor. Subsequently, church membership began to grow and continue right up through the pastoralship of current Pastor Rev. Cornelius Leon Bass.